and Top 9 Start-ups on ‘Ones to Watch’ List in 2017
Starburst Accelerator, the global aerospace and aviation incubator, today released its first comprehensive report focused on the emerging urban air mobility sector: “The Next Wave of Startup Unicorns Emerging from the Aerospace Renaissance.”
Urban Air Mobility
Urban air mobility is poised for massive disruption over the next five years, as a wide range of new aviation and aerospace crafts rapidly move from prototype to flight testing to commercialisation.
The report identifies the new technological developments and over $200 million in known investments that will enable this disruption and prime VTOLs for commercial deployment.
“For years, we’ve seen institutions like NASA developing and successfully applying distributed electric technologies to VTOL aircraft,” said Mark Moore, Uber Engineering Director of Aviation. “Based on those successes and the incredible innovation from both incumbents and early-stage players, we believe that VTOLs, and eVTOLs in particular, have the potential to well exceed the current commercial aviation market and could fundamentally change transportation as we know it.”
On the Top 9 List
Spotlighting 50 of the fastest growing air mobility companies today, Starburst evaluated players based on price points, pre-registrations, and production numbers, and predicts these nine companies will be the Ones to Watch in 2017:
- Aeromobil, Slovakia: commercialisation phase of a foldable wings car
- Aurora Flight Sciences, United States: successful test flight of an eVTOL aircraft in April 2017
- Ehang, China: first flight of an electric multicopter in March 2017, operational in Dubai in July 2017
- Flike, Hungary: first flight of an electric hovercraft in March 2015
- Flyboard, France: hovering world record for a jet hovercraft in March 2017
- KittyHawk, United States: successful test flight of an electric hovercraft in April 2017
- Lilium, Germany: successful test flight of an eVTOL aircraft in April 2017
- Urban Aero, Israel: commercialisation phase of a fuel multicopter
- Volocopter, Germany: commercialisation phase of an electric multicopter
To read the full report, please visit: http://starburst.aero/trends/.
About Starburst Accelerator
Starburst Accelerator is a global aerospace and aviation incubator, which provides support to start-ups seeking to commercialise their activities in the aeronautics, defence and space markets. The program acts as a catalyst, linking early-stage companies to a wide network of strategic industry players and potential partners to accelerate the adoption of breakthrough innovations.
Through its dedicated venture capital network, Starburst Venture also supports fundraising initiatives and strategic investments.
Starburst has offices in Los Angeles, Munich, Paris, Singapore, Montreal and San Francisco.
SOURCE Starburst Accelerator
If you like this, you might be interested in reading the following: