Volvo’s Electric Buses Starts Operation in Luxemburg
As part of Differdange’s sustainable urban mobility initiative, the city’s public transport operator has deployed a fleet of Volvo electric buses on its roads. Started in June, four electric buses are currently used on four routes of 8 to 9.5 km stretch. Each bus has a driving time of 25 minutes, then the buses’ batteries are fast-charged in three to six minutes at the end stations using an open interface known as OppCharge (opportunity charging), supplied by Heliox.
“The start of operations with the Volvo 7900 Electric marks yet another important step for all of us who work for a cleaner, quieter urban environment and more attractive public transport. Together with Differdange and Sales-Lentz we are in the vanguard of next-generation public transport,” says Håkan Agnevall, President of Volvo Buses.
Volvo 7900 Electric Bus
- All-electric, two-axle, 12 metre long city bus with low floor and three doors.
- 80 % lower energy consumption than a comparable diesel bus.
- Silent, exhaust emission-free.
- Equipped with an electric motor and lithium-ion batteries.
- The batteries are charged at the end stations, taking just three to six minutes.
- Can carry 85 passengers.
- Open interface between charging station and vehicle.
- Charging power 150, 300 or 450 kW.
- Pantograph fitted to the overhead pylon makes it possible to use a cost-effective solution with low weight on the bus roof.
- Conductive charging using current collectors, with communication between bus and charging station via Wi-Fi.
The operator is Sales-Lentz, which now has 4 electric buses, 12 electric hybrids, and 30 hybrids from Volvo in its fleet.
“Sales-Lentz has always been an early adopter of new technologies. We understand our role as a public transport operator to trigger our suppliers, bus manufacturers, software developers, to deliver and develop technologies that meet the market needs. Being very close to public and private customers that require mobility solutions, Sales-Lentz sees itself as a development partner and entrepreneur ready to invest in sustainable mobility”, says Wolfgang Schroeder, Managing Director, Sales-Lentz.
“Full electric was the next logical step after electric-hybrid, ahead in our strategy for sustainable urban mobility. Beginning September 2016, Sales-Lentz Autocars was commissioned a major project in green urban mobility: the Differdange-city buses 100% electric 12m urban buses. Start of operation: 2nd May 2017. We are excited to have done this turn-around in exactly 9 months with a very strong team formed of Volvo Gothenburg, Volvo Competence Center in Luxembourg, the city of Differdange, Heliox, ElectroWatt, Sales-Lentz technical department, and several other strong partners”, says Jos Sales, Director Sales-Lentz.
Volvo Electrified Bus Range
In addition to the all-electric Volvo 7900 Electric, the Volvo Buses range of electrified vehicles includes hybrid buses and electric hybrid buses (plug-in hybrids). All told, the company has sold more than 3300 electrified Volvo buses globally.
SOURCE Volvo Buses